Bridge Twenty-Five - Ponte dei Ferai

Ponte dei Ferai was our next bridge. It was much the same design as the others we recently crossed but had sturdy round stone pillars to which the metal railings were fixed. The bridge, which is dated 1876, is named for nearby shops which in days of old made lighting for the city - 'ferai' meaning lights. Before that it was called the Bridge of the Armenians, being close to a church of theirs that stands nearby.

The past few bridges all share a similar look, probably because they'd all been rebuilt during the 1800s, and this is the style that was in fashion then. Most had existed long before that as stone bridges, some dating back to the 1300s.

No comments:

Post a Comment